A few weeks ago, I debuted my new cake for spring, a two-layer Lemon Creme Fraiche cake with organic blueberries and a deep purplish-red blueberry curd.
Since most of my business is targeted toward wedding clientele, these seasonal cake releases are crafted with my local Sonoma community in mind. They're for birthdays, Tuesday night farmer's market picnics (a weekly event during Sonoma's warm weather months) or any excuse under the sun for making an everyday moment more of an occasion.
These sweet little layer cakes are garnished with the prettiest (edible) English pea blossoms from Marin Roots farm, not to be confused with their highly toxic and very similar looking cousin, the sweet pea, and I'll be offering them through spring with one week advanced notice.
Order here if you're in Sonoma.
And if you're not?
Scroll down for the cake recipe, a perfect empty canvas for all sorts of fresh fruits, curds and seasonal fillings like blueberries, cherries or my new favorite: Strawberry Tarragon curd. (I just shared a recipe for it over on Salt & Wind!)
Or just drool over more photos below by my talented friend Emma K. Morris....
RECIPE: LEMON CREME FRAICHE CAKE
Makes one 6", 2-layer cake
Recipe adapted from Butter & Brioche
- 6 ounces vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- juice and zest of one organic lemon
- 1 C Bellwether Farms Creme Fraiche
- 350 grams organic sugar
- 250 grams organic all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour two 6" cake pans.
- Combine oil, eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest, creme fraiche and sugar in bowl of a stand mixer and whisk until thoroughly blended.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Slowly fold sifted flour mixture into wet ingredients and stir just until combined. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake 45 minutes or edges are golden brown and a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool thoroughly before leveling and filling or frosting.
Let me know how you like it and be sure to tag #cakebloom on instagram to share your beautiful creations with me!