When I'm trying out new flavor combinations for my slow cake series, I look for a base recipe that's as simple and dependable, as it is flavorful and memorable. When I stumbled onto this Lemon Creme Fraiche Cake recipe from Butter & Brioche , I discovered all of those qualities and then some.
I found a cake that's both rich and tangy, and best of all, a recipe that's versatile. A cake that would work through the changing seasons with all sorts of fresh fruits, curds and seasonal fillings like blueberries and lemon cream cheese frosting, spring cherries and apricots or my new favorite: Strawberry Tarragon curd. (Get my recipe over on Salt & Wind!)
Behold: The Perfect Empty Canvas Cake Recipe just waiting for your favorite fillings...
RECIPE: ORGANIC LEMON CREME FRAICHE CAKE
Makes one 6", 2-layer cake
Recipe adapted from Butter & Brioche
- 6 ounces vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- juice and zest of one organic lemon
- 1 C Bellwether Farms Creme Fraiche
- 350 grams organic sugar
- 250 grams organic all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour two 6" cake pans.
- Combine oil, eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest, creme fraiche and sugar in bowl of a stand mixer and whisk until thoroughly blended.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Slowly fold sifted flour mixture into wet ingredients and stir just until combined. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake 45 minutes or edges are golden brown and a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool thoroughly before leveling and filling or frosting.
Let me know how you like it and be sure to tag #cakebloom on instagram to share your beautiful creations with me!