The inspiration for this summery fresh lime tart with edible flowers came from my childhood.
As I mentioned on instagram, Key Lime Pie was one of my signature desserts as a little girl. The recipe required exactly five ingredients including a store-bought crust, bottled Key Lime juice and gnarly green food coloring (which was probably my favorite part of the whole thing, if I'm being honest), plus some Cool-Whip swirls, if I was feeling fancy.
Mediocre ingredients aside, the creamy-cool, sweet-tart, alien green filling next to a rich, buttery graham cracker crust was simply the best for hot, sticky summers in Tennessee.
Older, wiser, but still very much a lime fanatic, I made a more polished, more Cake Bloomy version of that lime pie for our Fourth of July party a few weeks ago using real limes instead of the bottled Key Lime juice, omitting the food coloring altogether and making a graham cracker crust from scratch for my favorite frenchie tart pan.
Sounds slightly more complicated, but trust me, this fresh lime tart with edible flowers is easy as pie.
FRESH LIME TART WITH EDIBLE FLOWERS
yields 8-10 servings
- 1/2 cup organic lime juice (from 6-7 limes, plus zest)
- 14 oz organic sweetened condensed milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (from 8-10 crackers)
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup organic sugar
- fresh blue and pink cornflower petals
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prep the graham cracker crust by combining graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar.
- Mix until combined and press into a fluted rectangle tart pan using a large, flat spatula.
- Place on a large cookie sheet in case melted butter seems out and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and press crust down with spatula while still warm and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine yolks, sweetened condensed milk, lime juice and zest, and whisk until smooth.
- Pour into prepared 11" x 4" rectangle or 8" round tart pan with removable base and bake for 15 minutes until filling sets, being careful not to overfill pans.*
- Remove from oven and let cool on a rack.
- Chill, covered, until ready to serve at least 2 hours.
- Just before serving, garnish with fresh edible flower petals and reserved lime zest.